The UK is a haunted hotspot, packed with history and home to some of the creepiest castles hotels and asylums in the world. There are countless ghost hunts in the UK that celebrate this history and allow you to see it close-up. In this guide to UK ghost hunts and tours we’ll take a look at a few of the best ones.
You should also take a look at our Halloween Ghost Hunts guide to see what’s hot on the scariest day of the calendar.
Known as Chillingham Vigils, these ghost hunts are only available in groups. You need at least 10 people in order to book one of these and you pay for each member of the group as well as a guide. It’ll cost you over £100 in total for this top ghost tour, but it’s worth it.
This is one of the most haunted locations in the United Kingdom. But Chillingham Castle is also a hotel and you can book rooms there for the night and take tours throughout the day. These are not strictly ghost hunts, but if you book a room you can have your own ghost hunt. The castle is said to be home to many different ghosts and these (like all ghosts) come out at night.
One of the complaints that guests have, however, is that the rooms are very cold. This is not to do with the presence of evil though. It’s in the North of England and there is no central heating.
Jack the Ripper Tour
Although this is strictly not a UK ghost hunt or even a ghost tour, it is well worth a mention here. This is a walking tour that takes you to see the hotspots associated with Jack the Ripper, a notorious British serial killer that killed half a dozen women on the streets of Whitechapel. It is these streets you’ll see, visiting actual murder sites.
Just bear in mind that these are a little different now than they were over 100 years ago. But the places still exist and who knows, you might be able to see the spirits of the victims or of Jack himself.
These overnight ghost hunts will take you to an imposing castle that once served as a prison. There are stories of ritualistic murder, witchcraft and more. There is also a Crypt which is said to spook even the most hardened of visitors.
This is far from a cheap ghost hunt and you can expect to pay upwards of £60 per person, but you get a lot for your money. The castle itself dates back more than 900 years and it once contained gallows that executed many prisoners up until 1863.
And if you have never been to Oxford before, make sure you get a hotel nearby and then explore the city the next day. It’s as beautiful and quaint as any other English city and it is also home to the oldest university in the country.
Warwick Castle Ghost Hunt
Warwick Castle was a key stronghold in the Middle Ages, a castle that was all but impenetrable and one that had a series of defenses in place. It has been home to all kinds of sieges, murders and outbreaks, as well as devious plots and witchcraft. This UK ghost hunt will take you on an exploration on the many haunted hotspots in this castle and they will also invite you to try some of their equipment, including Ouija Boards.
There are a number of ghost sightings at Warwick castle, including some from the people in ghost hunt groups. So, book yourself a night on one of these tours and see if you can spot one for yourself.
Not only is it one of the best ghost tours in the UK, but it is also one of the biggest and best castles and a hotspot for anyone looking to explore the history of this country.
30 East Drive Ghost Hunt
This is just a humble home, or at least that’s what it appears to be. But in fact it is a home where a lot of poltergeist activity has been reported. It was absent during the 1970s after a family reported ghost sightings and poltergeist activity, not unlike the Enfield Poltergeist that we have covered so extensively on this site. As it’s on a smaller scale it’s not as commercial and it’s not as easy to book a place, but these ghost hunts do run and it’s well worth trying to get your name on the waiting list.
The laugher of the family is the one said to have been the target of the poltergeist activity, much like Janet Hodgson. So, if you want to experience your own piece of the Enfield Haunting without visiting the actual house, this is your chance.
Other Ghost Hunts in the UK
There are so many great ghost hunts out there. Some of these are regular, taking place every night or week, others only occur a few times a year. However, they are all worth checking out and here is a quick list of a few of our favorites:
- Shelton Mallet Prison Ghost Hunt (Shepton Mallet): Taking place in a building that was built in 1625 and has witnessed the death of many people.
- Galleries of Justice (Nottingham): This is an overnight ghost hunt that usually takes place on Friday the 13th. It actually covers three major ghost hunts in the city of Nottingham.
- Lancaster Castle Ghost Hunt (Lancaster): This is where the famous trial of the Pendle Witches took place. It was also where many executions puckered up until the middle of the 19th century.
- Drakelow Tunnels Ghost Hunt (Kidderminster): These tunnels are filled with all kinds of creepy activity and are a great UK alternative to the Paris Catacombs.
- Dover Castle Ghost Hunt (Dover): This is one of the most famous castles in the UK and a great place for a ghost tour to take place.
- Dudley Castle Ghost Hunt (Dudley): Another top UK ghost hunt that is centered around one of their castles. It is not as grand or as imposing as some of the others, but it’s a great ghost hunt nonetheless and one that runs until the early hours of the morning, from late in the evening right on through the witching hour.